A few weeks ago Ivana and I had the pleasure of speaking with Beau Cowan on the Big Fat Facts Podcast! (You can listen to the entire interview here)
Beau is a motivational speaker with an amazing story. He was born with a condition called Cerebral Palsy, a movement disorder that appears in early childhood. It can affect an individual’s ability to walk, and move, as well as their speech, vision, hearing, and swallowing.
Beau took us through his story, struggles with mental health, and being confined to a wheelchair his entire life. While one would say, ‘Wow he is so resilient and tenacious,’ (I even said that in our meeting prior to the podcast) Beau did not see it that way. He didn’t want you to be inspired because he is managing with his disease and wheelchair. He wanted you to be inspired because he was just a regular guy who got up and DOMINATED THE DAY. He is living his life to the fullest and his mission is to help you do that, too!
Here are 10 mindsets that Beau uses to DOMINATE his day:
- Don’t let your circumstances define you; you define yourself by how you respond to your circumstances! Define yourself as someone who dominates the day!
- Celebrate your wins! Whether it is a simple win like getting out of bed, or a big win like getting a promotion at your job, CELEBRATE! Rejoice in those wins and let them power you through lower moments and bad days.
- Don’t be consumed by what others think of you. The negativity from others only has power over your day if you let it. Brush off the judgement from others.
- Trust yourself. You may not know why you’re in the situation you are, but you do have the ability to overcome anything. Trust that you are strong!
- Have an attitude of gratefulness. Realize that your worst nightmare is someone else’s dream. There are always things to be grateful for; you are blessed!
- Do at least one thing that takes you out of your comfort-zone. You learn and grow when you step outside of your comfort zone and take risks. Be brave and step out of your comfort zone.
- Choose joy over anger. You can’t control everything that happens to you but you can control how you respond. Respond with joy.
- Don’t waste energy trying to fit-in. Normal is a setting on a washing machine. You weren’t born to be normal or fit-in, you were born to be you!
- Do the best that you can. Sometimes, dominating the day will be just getting through a tough day. Give your best, regardless of your circumstances.
- Don’t ever give up. Don’t give up on reaching your goals or on dominating your day. Most importantly, don’t give up on yourself!
Since speaking with Beau, I have done my best to #dominatetheday! To change my mindset and work towards the life I want. I hope this blog inspires you to do the same. Shoot me a message – tell me, how you are dominating the day?
Follow him on Instagram and twitter – @bcow82.
– Dr. Dan